The mission of VN Program is to provide quality education to a diverse student population which will contribute to the profession of nursing by practicing competent, safe and responsible nursing care. The program emphasizes hands-on training necessary for skill competence, a structure decision-making model based on rationale for quality patient care, self-evaluation and reflection in the promotion of professional development. The VN Program will respond to the needs of the Houston community by offering education to provide direct care to patients and families with common health care needs in structure settings.
The nursing curriculum is designed to assist the student in meeting educational objectives and program outcomes. The major curriculum concepts integrated within the VN Program include the Differentiated Essential Competencies (DECs, 2010) for Graduates of Texas Nursing Programs and the nursing process. The VN curriculum prepares the nursing graduate for entry level VN practice as Member of the Profession, Provider of Patient-Centered Care, Patient Safety Advocate, and Member of the Health Care Team. The nursing process is a systematic method for data collection utilizing critical thinking and problem-solving skills within the scope of practice for the VN graduate. Upon completion of the VN Program, the graduate will be able to:
- Implement the elements of the Nursing Process for improved patient care and develop interpersonal nurse-patient relationships.
- Review and evaluate legal statutes pertaining to nursing practice and assist community based organizations to provide wellness education.
- Assist patients to meet basic human needs.
- Relate scientific theory to the performance of safe nursing and relate cultural factors to the planning and implementation of patient care.
- Utilize the knowledge of body structure and function in patient teaching and describe the primary causes, manifestations, and treatment for common medical or surgical conditions.
- Identify the role of the VN as facilitator of the highest standards of nursing care.
- Implement elements of growth and development into a pediatric nursing care plan.
- Demonstrate knowledge of physical and mental aspects of the aging process and plan nursing care to meet the unique needs of the elderly.
- Describe health promoting activities designed to assist the patient and family to cope with illness or loss.
- Utilize therapeutic communication techniques in the care of the emotionally disturbed patient.
- Utilize commication skills in nursing intervention and evaluation of care.
- Maintain and promote psychological health through consideration of an individual’s worth and dignity.
- Prepare to take the NCLEX-PN
VOCATIONAL NURSING PROGRAM OUTLINE
VOCATIONAL NURSING PROGRAM OUTLINE: Click here
Texas Health School is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education,COE, a national accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education. www.council.org
Texas Health School is approved and regulated by:
- Texas Board of Nursing, Vocational Nursing Program https://www.bon.texas.gov/
- Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, Nurse Aide Training Program
- Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, Medication Aide Training Program
- Texas Workforce Commission, Career Schools and Colleges, Austin, Texas
- Texas Veterans Commission, Veterans Education (select programs only)
Texas Health School:
- Is recognized by the United States Department of Education for participation in Federal Title IV Student Financial Assistance Programs (Federal Pell Grant, Federal Direct Student and Parent Loans)
- Provides educational training services for the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) (select programs only)
- Is approved for training of veterans and other eligible persons under the provisions of Title 38, United States Code for approved programs by the Texas Workforce Commission including VA vocational rehabilitation programs
- Is an approved vendor of the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS)
A copy of the school’s accreditation, licensure, and approvals are on file and available for review upon written request to the School Director.
Vocational Nursing Program Information: Click Here
Admissions Testing:Click Here
Career Information: Click here